Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day One on Day One

So, I've decided to blog. Why do you ask? Why not? I would say. Time to jump on the band-wagon right? Regardless, it is time to start a journey. This journey. So, much of our lives goes by unnoticed and without record. This journey will have a start today (November 2, 2010), but it is unclear how or when it will end.

Part of this journey is going to be about my body. After all, we cannot go anywhere without our bodies on this earth. I used to consider myself fairly healthy. Now that I am almost 40 and considered obese at 190.8 lbs. for my 5'7" frame, I have changed that view to unhealthy. I have tried a lot of weight loss programs and generally berated myself for eating at all, but that needs to stop. We all need to eat. To not eat is also unhealthy. As a woman, I am constantly aware of the fact that I am not living up to the ideals of physical "womanhood" that American culture so desires. This journey is about accepting the fact that I will NEVER be that ideal "woman." Indeed, in reality, there is no such "woman." But at the same time, getting to the point that I can consider myself healthy and a healthy weight or BMI.

According to the BMI calculator, I am presently at 30. A healthy BMI is between 20-25 with a weight between 128-160.  So, this is my goal -- to get to around 155-160. I've given up on the 130. That's just too out of sight.  My goal here is to track what I'm doing and how I'm doing -- beginning every day as "Day One."

My other goal is to just record the moments that go by. I am beginning to believe that these goals are very much interrelated. When I am so focused on the outward ideal, I miss the moments and I eat and overeat.

So, wish me luck, bless me, and be with me on this journey.

November 2, 2010
Breakfast
Hot tea with Splenda
banana

Planned lunch
baby carrots w fat free catalina dressing
orange
Musselman's natural applesauce cup

Planned dinner
don't know yet, but it will be better than last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment